Lawng sweet pastry
India is a melting pot of tradition and culture. Every state in India has its own unique cuisine and dishes, and the Bnei Menashe have their own spin on the local cuisine. This sweet pastry is a favorite of the Bnei Menashe.
1 kg all-purpose flour
10 g bking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
100 gram butter/margarine or 1/2 oil
2 cup warm water
500 g sugar
4 cups water
1. To the flour add baking soda, salt and sugar. Mix it with the butter
2. Add water and knead well to make stiff dough.
3. Cover the dough with wet cloth and leave it for 2 hours.
4. Heat the sugar and water and make a thick syrup
5. Turn off the flame let it become a little cool.
6. Roll the dough out very thin. Fold it over itself compactly then slice.
7. Fry each slice in hot oil until golden brown.
8. Dip each fried slice into syrup and leave for 5 minutes.
9. Remove them from syrup and arrange on a serving tray.
Recipe inspired by Esther Kolnoy